Monday 19 March 2007

Fall Out Boy - From Under The Cork Tree

Did I previously slag off Fall Out Boy and in particular their song titles? Why did I do that? Oh, right, because they were all shit on that album. Well on this album they're anything but.

Actually, that's misleading. It's a mixed bag. They're still prone to abysmal plays on words, but this is offset by some of the most ridiculously lengthy song titles ever committed to the back of a CD.

'Our Lawyer Made Us Change The Name Of This Song So We Wouldn't Get Sued'. That's a bit knowing, but if it's true, what WAS the song title? My guess is it was about Mick Hucknall and some sort of industrial-strength adhesive.

'I've Got A Dark Alley And A Bad Idea That Says You Should Shut Your Mouth (Summer Song)'. Whatever you think of the content, that's one frighteningly long song title. If you string that many words together, there's bound to be something to object to. Let's overlook that and congratulate them on being resoundingly un-catchy and non-memorable.

'Champagne For My Real Friends Real Pain For My Sham Friends'. By the standards of this album, this isn't a particularly long title, but it needs highlighting as an example of Fall Out Boy's complete inability to avoid messing about with words and also their complete inability to achieve anything after doing so.

'I Slept With Someone In Fall Out Boy And All I Got Was This Stupid Song Written'. This is surely true. The 'stupid song' bit anyway.

'Get Busy Living Or Get Busy Dying (Do Your Part To Save The Scene And Stop Going)'. Anyone? I haven't got a clue.

No comments: