Wednesday 27 December 2006

Paolo Nutini - These Streets

At first I thought that Nutini was spelt 'Ntini' like the South African fast bowler Makhaya Ntini. As a result of this, I got really annoyed with people pronouncing it wrong. Looking back, this was quite hypocritical of me. I was annoyed that they hadn't taken the time to find out how to pronounce his name, but I was the one who couldn't be bothered finding out how to spell it.

I seem to be doing more and more of this as I get older - leaping to wrong conclusions that make me annoyed. I don't know why this is, but in the spirit of it, I won't be researching anything about Paolo Nutini for this review (yeah, they're supposed to be reviews).

Another time I confidently told someone that a piece of music was Paolo Nutini, when it plainly wasn't. There's something about the guy and my factual abilities in connection with him. If I'm honest I even spelt his name wrong in the title when I first tried. I put 'Nuttini'.

Anyway, back to leaping to conclusions about Paolo Nutini. These Streets features a song called 'White Lies' which is about the end of apartheid in South Africa. It also features a variety of songs with names too banal to even make up a decent lie about.

Paolo Nutini came late to music after fulfilling his boyhood dream of becoming a spaceman.

No comments: