Friday 15 December 2006

The Library Trust - The A to Z of Mathematics

Remember when you first discovered food? Of course you don't. Okay, imagine you've never eaten in your entire life and you're, what, twenty-odd now? Maybe you've had some sort of a sustenance injection to help you survive. It was a big injection and it hurt and there were all sorts of side-effects. You had it every day, it hurt like hell and it just about kept you going.

Now imagine, in this scenario, that somebody suddenly gives you your favourite food. I don't know what you like. Maybe it's pizza. Maybe it's a curry. Maybe it's Monster Munch. Whatever. Okay. Now how do you feel? For twenty-odd years you've been without this. You've missed out on so much.

But not only that. There's been the daily pain of that eight inch needle as well. Suddenly you don't need that either. It's like a new birth. A renaissance, if you will.

That's the effect that The A to Z of Mathematics will have on you.

The Library Trust have produced a record that is a bigger triumph than the Roman Empire at its zenith. A record that if it were an animal would be a unicorn-angel the size of China. A record that practically impregnates you with a bellyful of deities, waiting to pour forth over the earth to clear up all the shit.

If I had recorded the A to Z of Mathematics, I would retire on the spot. Then I would climb to the top of Everest with a camera crew and broadcast footage of myself going: "Aaaaaah. In your faces. Who's the best in the world now, eh? Hey? Who is it? It's me, isn't it? I'm the greatest. I've made the finest album in history AND I'm on top of Everest telling you about it."

No comments: