Wednesday 13 December 2006

Razorlight - Razorlight

I always thought that Razorlight were the worst band in the world. I can't remember the first song that I heard, suffice to say that it made me so annoyed I had to put Nightnurse in my tea to keep calm.

Then there was the song that sounded like they were 'doing' The Boomtown Rats' 'I Don't Like Mondays'. Then there was one which wasn't total sonic excrement - it was just a lame Clash pastiche.

Then I found out that the lead singer, Johnny Borrell liked cricket and suddenly everything was forgiven. Nobody who likes cricket can be all bad (except maybe Mick Jagger). Anyway, I set about re-evaluating their body of work.

It was still rubbish, but there were mitigating factors that in some way compensated for the pseudo-American vocal delivery and curl-up-in-a-ball-and-hide lyrics. Firstly, Johnny Borrell is rather partial to a bright white, tight, terry towelling jumpsuit. It's bizarre, totally unflattering and you can see his nads. I've no desire to see his nads, but at least it's not wilfully cool. Full marks.

Johnny Borrell also has strong opinions about the band The Kooks. He says that they are "shit". The Kooks are shit, so he's not without taste.

On balance, I'd prefer you not to buy Razorlight's records, but if you do, buy them for the cricket-loving, white jumpsuit-wearing, Kooks are 'shit'-saying aspects of the band, not the musical ones.

No comments: