Tuesday 19 December 2006

McFly - Motion in the Ocean

Ah, the rhyming dictionary. What a great boon when you're stuck for an album title.

McFly promise so much. After all, their name refers to Back To The Future, finest of all the films. Yet don't be misled. McFly really are a colossal shower of shite.

Time was when being in a band and playing the guitar was cool. Think of Cud or Ride or any of the other great bands of 1991. They oozed class. McFly are a pop band. A child-friendly, offensively inoffensive excuse of a group. Adam Mole, the bassist from Pop Will Eat Itself must be incandescent with rage that it's all come to this. Probably.

Back when I tore up the town and had it large and so forth, I'd listen to music that had bits of swearing in. That's what rock's all about - naughty words. One track on Motion in the Ocean is called 'Transylvania'. Effortlessly cool me, back in the Nineties, didn't care where Transylvania was. I only cared where Bargain Booze was. I also cared about my fringe. That's what sticking it to the man's all about.

If McFly were sticking it to the man, 'it' would probably be a tail with blu-tack on and 'the man' would still be an advertising executive, but he'd be their friend and they'd be playing games in his office.

Now I have to go through the charade of categorising McFly. I've got to go for Rock, which is wrong and Soft Rock, which is also wrong. It's sort of appropriate because McFly are wrong.

No comments: